Synchronization Agreement

A sync license is required, regardless of the size of a part of the song you are using. For medleys, each song needs a separate sync license. There are a few exceptions for which no sync license is required: you don`t need a sync license for songs that you`ve written yourself or that are in the public domain. If you are using an original recording belonging to another person (for example. B an actual recording of The Beatles with John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison), you need a sync license to pay the composer for the right to use the composition (song), as well as a master`s license to pay the artists for the right to use the recording. The same applies if you only have a very small part of a copyrighted audio recording. Click here to learn more about licensing existing audio recordings. Whenever you publish a recording of a song written by someone else in a video format, even if it is only a small part of the song, you need a sync license. Sync licenses are the most used for YouTube videos, pocket song videos, wedding videos, and commercial and corporate videos. For example, if you publish a YouTube video of your band playing a Rolling Stones song, you`ll need a sync license, even if you`re only using part of the song. If you`re releasing a DVD of yourself playing a beach boys song or singing lyrics by Mariah Carey, you need a sync license.

A music synchronization license, or abbreviated “Sync”, is a music license granted by the copyright holder of a given composition, which allows the licensee to synchronize (“synchronize”) the music” with some kind of visual media edition (movie, TV shows, advertising, video games, accompanying site music, movie trailer, etc.). [1] This is a sync license for a song written by a deceased party for use in an independent film. Note that sync licenses apply to video products (DVDs, YouTube videos, other web videos, and slideshows). If you are creating a pure audio product such as CDs or discs, you will need a mechanical license. Mechanical is only for audio; Sync is for video. The rights to a composition or “song”, which differs from studio recording,[2] are most often managed by the publisher representing the author/producer. A sound recording has two separate copyrights: [3] If you display texts or musical notes in your video, you will also need a printing license to pay the composer the right to display the composition (song). Click here to learn more about the print license. Sync royalties can range from free to a few hundred dollars to millions of dollars for popular recordings of songs [6] (if the producer has to pay for both the use of the sound recording “Masters” and for the composition). Once the producer has made a request to the copyright administrator (and, in addition, the record label when choosing to use a famous recording), the rights holder or administrator makes an offer, usually for a “one-time royalty” (often referred to as a “sync fee” or “frontend”). [4] Royalty negotiations generally focus on how the work is used, the length of the segment, the celebrity of the cues (whether as background music, cover during the credits or other uses), and the general popularity and meaning of the song or recording. Another point of negotiation is whether the Sync license is a “buyout” (i.e.

whether the company that will eventually broadcast the production must pay a “backend” fee (Performance Royalty) or not). [5] Central Nebraska Irrigation Project by A Docracy User If an audiovisual project producer wishes to use a recording in their work, they must contact both the owner of the sound recording (performer`s label) and the owner of the composition (publisher of the songwriter). . . .